2017~2018 The following are just a few details to make your child’s First Grade Adventure run smoothly from the start.
1. The “layered” look is definitely a smart choice for school. For example, a short sleeve shirt with a sweatshirt over it for the cool mornings.
2. Your child will need a backpack and a homework folder for school. Papers, books, notices, and homework will only be sent home in your child’s folder and backpack. Please designate with your child, one special pocket folder to be used for homework only. (A binder is too big and not necessary…just a small pocket folder.) Label it clearly with his/her first and last name. This folder should come to and from school with your child every day. There will be rare occasions when we do not have any papers or notices to bring home, and the folder will stay at school. The school provides writing and art tools. It is not necessary for your child to bring these from home. It is a good idea to create a special spot at home for your child to place his/her papers, books, notices, and homework. (Make sure it is up and away from animals and little fingers!) Give your child the responsibility of emptying his/her backpack right away every afternoon. It forms a good habit right from the beginning!
3. Snack time is very important in First Grade. Please make sure that your child has a snack every day. Plan on your child eating healthy things at snack! The children are very hungry when we eat around 9:15. A half of a sandwich and another healthy treat is a good idea. Just make sure your child knows what’s for snack and what’s for lunch!
4. Birthdays are very special, and we have traditions to make your child’s day extraordinary by focusing on the celebration, not the treat. Please see my "Birthdays" tab for more information.
5. The end of our day is quite hectic. Please send a note to school with your child if he/she has a different schedule that day after school. (For example: Please dismiss Katie with the walkers today. Her dad will pick her up.) If we do not have a note from you, we will dismiss your child according to the usual after school schedule. I am requesting that notes come each day that your child has a change in activity. This includes weekly usual activities such as gymnastics, scouts, etc. Please do not send an e-mail informing me of a change in plans. Our classroom is a busy learning place, and e-mail often gets checked after the close of school.
6. Please label ALL of your child’s belongings. Lost and found fills up quickly with everything from mittens to backpacks. Labeling EVERYTHING will save you time, money, and frustration.